Many people have different philosophies on dog neutering, pros and cons. However, there are overwhelming reasons to neuter your dog then to keep them “intact”. If you want to breed your dog, of course, neutering is not an option. Other than that reason neutering should be on your to do list ( earliest 6 months).
Problems that may develop with unneutered dogs.
1) Adult marking and spraying: Does your dog have accidents in the house every once in a while? This can be due to male marking, small urine marks that pop on on vertical objects or on personal property ( bedding, couch). Male marking is not an easy fix and can not be treated the same way as house breaking. It is a horrid pain to clean and a problem that breeders put up with.
2) Undesired behaviors: many unneutered dogs can develop unwanted behaviors that are basic urges and thus hard to control . The tendencies for male dogs to be aggressive to other males or sexual to females in heat is greater . This makes dog park visits and attending doggie day cares limited or in some cases an added expense.
In addition behavioral issues at an earlier age can be considered intensified if the dog is not neutered. Hyperactivity and signs of dominance may also start developing. This may develop into reactivity as an adult .
When it comes to your dogs big moment for the “snip snip” (if you are not breeding ) remember the old price is right saying: ” don’t forget to spade and neuter you pets”.
I wanted focus on success stories with dogs. When it comes to training and having a well behaved dog there is no day off. Training needs to be a lifestyle! You need to incorporate small positive techniques in your daily routine . Being involved in your dogs life is critical and not only for a happy dog but for a happy owner. There is no quick fix for problems, everything needs to be maintained.
My dog has had more training then the average dog owner ( obviously ) but that does not mean I have not gone through the whole list of undesired behaviors.
It’s started with housebreaking, then barking in public at dogs, barking in the house at someone at the door, then separation anxiety. It feels like it never ends but it does! Puppies are learning everyday and it can take them more then two training sessions to correct undesired behaviors. Remember these undesired behaviors happen at different developmental levels and times for each dog. That’s why training is not a bunch of sessions for your dog, it’s learning how to catch undesired behaviors before they begin and knowing how to stop them before they developed into a problem.
No dog is perfect and even the ones that seem that way weren’t always . But if you can come into the mind frame that dogs have these problems and that they are easy to fix overtime. Then there are no surprises and when your dog hits their maturity level ( 1 year and 2 months for my dog) you have a companion that has grown and developed with you.
The best feeling for me is after all the hard work my dog and I have been through, he is now so loving, observant , respectful and obedient! I would never take back the “hard times” because that is how we got to today. I respect my dog so much and he shows me the same appreciation.
Love your dogs and remember if you make training part of your life it’s not work anymore it’s just living comfortably!
I love my clients because they inspire me everyday to write informational posts and blogs. Today we are focusing on energy and observation!
Dogs can have predictable behavior meaning in some cases you can actually anticipate poor or undesired behavior with your dog. If you notice that during the day your dog is an angel he sleeps, nice and calm but when the family comes home in the afternoon your dog goes “wild”. Sound familiar. The interesting thing is people think ” ahh my dog is out if control. He jumps on sofa, he chases the children he has started biting the carpet or rug.” But they are not out of control they are channeling their energy poorly and inefficiently.
If this sounds like your family situation . There is a simple solution.
Before you get frustrated with your puppy or dog, ask why does this happen. Your dog has to much energy!!! A bored dog, a well rested dog, or a dog awaiting and anticipating your arrival will be destructive. However if you can realize this you can solve this problem.
Reinforce your dog during the day for being calm then before the family comes home take your dog for a run or to the dog park. Burn off that energy. Remember a TIRED DOG is a GOOD DOG!!!!!!! Then come home and be behavioral . Your dog will now have far less energy, and now you can really work on training. As people come through the door ask your dog to sit reinforce them for not rushing the door or for not jumping . Really show your dog what you want by reinforcing the calm behavior.
Another alternative to channel that energy positively is my applying training techniques. If you can do a training session with your dog everyday this will help your dog burn energy, think for themselves and occupy their time. It doesn’t have to be complex , start with sits and downs stays and comes. Start playing fetch where your dog receives objects ,comes back to control , and releases objects! They get exercise and they are learning critical training techniques.
This system works!! Just like children, dogs need attention, playtime outside to run around and schooling. Could you imagine if you didn’t do this with your children !! Your house could look worse then how your dog leaves it now!
So appreciate your pup and know to observe your dog and efficiently get rid of the excess energy.
Animals are great but not all apartment and condos are as enthusiastic to allow animals. Many high rises on Key Biscayne allow only dogs 20 pounds and under, only one dog per condo, only owners can have pets or the worst no pets at all! So with such restrictions where on this island can you possible go with your furry family besides million dollar homes.
Here is my list of the top 4 most PET FRIENDLY places to live on Key Biscayne.
1) Le Phare: Hands down, this small townhouse community has it all if you are an animal enthusiast. Renters and owners alike can have pets of any size and any quantity.! It is easy to walk your dog since there is street access with several doggy poo bag stations for quick pick ups. They also have grassy courtyards for your doggies. Another pro is that you are just 4 blocks from the new KB Dog Park.
2). Key Colony: Now Key Colony does have restrictions on weight of dog and rules on only owners being able to own a dog but if you can meet this requirements Key Colony has their own private dog park and tons of stimulating dog paths that can really keep your dog enjoying their walks . Key colony is also across the street from a vet and grooming store.
3) Galen and sunrise: (DISCLAIMER) not every building down these streets allow dogs so do your research however most do. These streets are friendly , dogs have easy access to the outside with many doggy poo stations for quick pick ups and across the street from the Dog Park!! Most buildings do have the 20 pound and under rule but many buildings are lenient.
4) Commodore Club : Like most places on the Key there is a weight limit and amount limit to the number of dogs one can have however there are many dog owners and they have a private dog run next to Crandon park that is great for dogs to run around and release that extra energy!
I believe growing up with animals really helps a family grow with responsibility, love, affection and knowledge. As the Key is becoming a family oriented community I hope these growing families that live in condos can also have the pleasure of animals in their lives.
Ohh to be a puppy!!
You get to sleep all day in your bed, play with toys and get fed,
Get treats every time you pee outside
And private trainers to enjoy the ride.
Oh to be a puppy; learning everyday
Oh to be a puppy I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Cute short poem to enjoy your puppies.
Gotta love dogs ;).
You must be logged in to post a comment.